MOBILE EXHIBITION STRUCTURE - INTERNATIONAL IDEA CONTEST
Deadline for submitting applications: January 31st, 2019.
This contest encourages students of architecture, artists and multidisciplinary teams to come up with an original idea for the creation of a mobile structure designed for the exhibition of Contemporary Photography Projects within the research project VISUAL SPACES OF CHANGE (VSC).
VSC is the first stage of an Architecture, Art, Image and Innovation (AAI2) project about emerging dynamics of change in the Metropolitan Area of Porto (AMP). Contemporary Photography Projects (CPP) will be developed and implemented in specific places, conceived as "visual narratives" that intentionally interfere with the metropolitan territory in an exercise of self-reflexive representation of its own process of urban change. This network of public and collective spaces will constitute an "Open Museum" in the AMP, stimulating artistic and cultural institutions to broaden their reach and participation in the public space.
The territory under study in this project is used simultaneously as the laboratory for empirical experimentation and the stage of visual representation of the agents and processes of urban change that are intended to be analysed. This project will produce visual syntheses of these dynamics, in order to give visibility to specific aspects of their interconnected nature and historical uniqueness that are difficult to perceive without the purposeful use of image and photography. This project opens new avenues of investigation by proposing an original combination of methods of visual research and spatial analysis, in order to change perceptions about contemporary dynamics of transformation of the public space, with the objective of collectively transforming the imaginary of the city to the metropolitan scale, contributing to the identification of opportunities for co-evolution between citizens, institutions and the urban environment.
Theme and object of the contest
Organization and responsibility of the international contest
Material to be delivered by each candidate
- In case of being selected to execute the proposal, the competitor will have to deliver, within two weeks after announcement of the result, an A3 dossier with complementary plants, cuts, constructive details and descriptive memory. In case of not fulfilling this obligation, the organization reserves the right to disqualify it and to elect the proposal in second place to be fulfilled, passing through the same process.
- Any competitor may submit the complementary dossier to the proposal before the winner is announced, if it deems it necessary for a better understanding of the project.
Submission of the proposals
The works will be evaluated by a jury composed of the following elements:
– Pedro Leão Neto (FAUP, coordinator of the VSC project);
- Luis Gonzaga (UMINHO);
- José Barbedo (Researcher / FAUP - CCRE-CEAU);
- Invited researcher (FAUP - CCRE-CEAU);
- Invited researcher (UMINHO) ;
- Invited researcher (UMINHO);
- Invited researcher (UMINHO)
- (invited person(s) from outside VSC project)
Disclosure and publication of results
The result of the contest will be announced until 28 February 2019 on the contest website, social networks and internet platforms associated with the VSC project, namely:chttp://scopionetwork.com/, https://sigarra.up.pt/faup/pt/web_page.Inicial and other public sites.
Ownership and permissions
Learn more about this exciting challenge at mil.up.pt/aai2lab and scopionetwork.com/news